Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Fabulously Fun-Filled February!

All us homeschoolers know that February is the most dreaded month of the entire year.  (And, if you didn't, a veteran homeschooler probably alerted you to the fact early on in your research of the idea.)  "Don't make any decisions in February!" is a common mantra emitted by the schooling-at-home crowd, and it's true--how I feel about homeschooling in February is generally the exact opposite from how I feel about in any other given month.

"How can I conquer this tendency to despondency in February?" I asked myself throughout January, "What can I do to avoid that burn out and that hatred of all things educational?"

And then it hit me:  Have fun.  It's hard to hate what you're doing when you're deliberately doing the best parts of it.  February brings the grays, and I'm gonna fight back with glittery rainbows.  BAM.

I invite you to play along, homeschooler or not.  Let's make February fun.  The entire month.

Here's what I'm going to do, and you're free to steal my ideas:

I really like alliteration, so I came up with four categories to work with during the month.  They are:

  • Field Trips
  • Fine Arts
  • Food
  • Fun(ny) (this is my catch-all category)
And, because I'm that mom that goes a little crazy when a good idea falls into my lap, I'm challenging myself to do something in each of those four categories every week of February.  That's sixteen fabulously fun things to look forward for this month.  Can we say excited?!?!

Let me tell you, once I decided that we were going to have some fun this month, all these ideas of all these different things came to mind--all those things that I always say, "Hey, that'd make a good field trip someday...", or "I need to remember that for when we're studying [insert whatever here]...", only to completely forget about it two years later when we do in fact study that topic.  When your only criteria is that is has to be fun, the possibilities of what you allow yourself to do multiplies exponentially!

I will report on my endeavors to bring sunshine and rainbows into our school days all this month, and I totally want to hear what you decide to do as well.  Come on back on Friday and I'll have a linky-up post where you can share your activities.  Perhaps you'll inspire someone else (like me!) with some more fun ideas.

Go forth, and have fun!

1 comment:

Bluebird said...

Cool! Can I suggest a trip to the archery range for a field trip?