Friday, February 7, 2014

Fabulously Fun-Filled February Week #1
(And Weekly Report Week #22)

  • Field Trip & Fine Arts:  I took the Brookelets up to BYU to see a theatrical production of Shakespeare's "Cymbeline" specially created for young audiences.
  • Food:  We made milkshakes.
  • Fun:  We watched "Tangled."
  Of course, my phone died right before I could take pictures at the play, so there are none.  Which is too bad because Bluebird was pulled out of the audience to be the "doctor"--complete with that weird little muffin-looking hat and big black smock, and Junebug was chosen to be "Helen" (the princess's lady-in-waiting) and she was so stinking cute in her little pinafore while she trailed behind Princess Imogen.

  Monkeyboy loved the play.  They had big floor pillows set on the floor so the children could lounge while they watched, and he squirmed and rolled all over his pillow through the entire play, all while keeping his attention firmly fixed upon what was happening on-stage.  There's a point in the play where the Brits are chasing the Roman soldiers, and they're all going round and round the set, knocking props and backdrops over and yelling, and Monkeyboy was squealing with laughter over it--he could not sit up, all he could do was lay on his stomach and laugh.  Totally worth it.  The show runs through this Saturday if any of my local friends want to see it.  I definitely recommend it--the evil stepmother cracked me up.  (We saw the "fairy tale" version, but they're also offering a "Film Noir" version as well.)

  This week is weird because a bunch of important people in Michael's company are all in town (from Australia), and so he has barely been home.  It was tough getting the car so I could take the kids to the play, but he figured out how to make it work, and all the other days we've been completely without a car so he can shuttle visitors at work.  (Read:  Why yes, I'm feeling the effects of cabin fever this very moment.)

As a result of this home-bound predicament, I couldn't venture out to the grocery story for fun food, so I had to work with what I had on-hand, and there is was an almost-full gallon bucket of vanilla ice cream in my freezer, left over from summer.  At first I was a little put off by the freezer-burn potential of said ice cream, but after we dug through that layer, it tasted fine.  Woo-hoo!  Milkshakes in February!  The kids were fall-down excited.  Sometimes we just need to keep it simple, don't we?  They spent some time being "milkshake pirates" afterwards...it was hilarious and very odd.


  It feels lame to say that we watched "Tangled" as our fulfillment of the "Fun(ny)" category, but it was truly fun(ny) for them.  I popped lots of popcorn, the kids were excited to fill rest time with a movie, and we laughed.  It was good, I'm glad we went with that option.

  I'm amazed at how simple it is to make February fun.




  Yes, school got done as well.  Bluebird's almost done with Little Women, and Penguin's still working through The Blue Fairy Book.


Penguin finished her 2C penmanship book this week, and started working in the second workbook for math.  (The excitement over the math is mostly mine--she was all, "But I still have to do math, why does it matter if it's in a different book?"  Dear Penguin, your mama needs that little reminder that we're halfway through the book.  After months of lessons, it gladdens my heart immensely to have tangible evidence that we are indeed getting somewhere.)


Three more weeks of fun to keep the Winter Grays away!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you've all be up to in your homes!




Linking up with:



 Entertaining & Educational Link-up @ Highhill Homeschool





6 comments:

  1. What a great week! We have some fun field trips planed for this month but not a daily thing. In fact most of our last week of February is going to be all out of the house.

    The play sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on putting fun in February! The theater production sounds great.

    I love when we hit a milestone in a curriculum! My oldest just finished the last chapter in her Math U See and has final exams for it next week. Whoo hoo! On to PreAlgebra. Okay, so I'm the only one excited about that last part there....

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the beautiful, happy faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're listening to Little Women on librivox now too. Thanks for linking with Entertaining and Educational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Friendship Friday! I've enjoyed getting to know your family. I hope you'll share with us again. It does sound like you made the most of your week despite the transportation glitch!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing!