Friday, January 31, 2014

Weekly Report: Weeks 20 & 21


Did you miss us?  :)

We got hit by a bitty germ last week that made us feel just...tired.  Blogging wasn't too terribly high on my list of priorities after all the energy I had to exert to get through my regular daily duties.

Last week wasn't too terribly fun at all, just getting through the work.  This week, with being happy about only getting a little bit sick and recovering quickly from it, I felt the need to seek out some fun moments just because I could.

As luck would have it, one of Penguin's math lessons this week was on reading and following a recipe, with all the fun of 1/2 cups and 1/2 teaspoons.  I'll admit it:  In the past, I've skipped these lessons a lot because they take so much time.  But it's January, people are cranky, it's cold outside--we needed some baking time.  It was a good choice, and it didn't even hamper the rest of the school day...much.  :)


In case any of you are coming up on this Apple Jack Cookies recipe in Saxon 2 Math, I changed it a little bit.  Instead of 1 teaspoon of nutmeg (oh my gosh, EW!), I put in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.  It messes with the whole 1/2 and 1 thing the recipe had going for it, but there was no way my kids were going to eat something that nutmeg-happy.  My variation turned out splendidly.



Junebug asked me when she was going to be in the second grade so she could make cookies for math, too.  ("I can't WAIT to do second grade math!!!")  Ha ha.  She has to settle for first grade math right now, helped along by the companionship of her Enderman stuffie.

The Brookelets have found time to work on various art kits they received for Christmas:




Bluebird's enjoying the bit of independence I'm granting her by letting her work on her work by herself at the "buffet table" (read: bottom half of a desk) in the kitchen:


As a fellow introvert, I understand the need to separate one's self from the crowd, and how much faster an introverted person can work when there aren't people nearby.

She finished her cursive "mastery" penmanship book this week.  She was hoping it meant that she'd be done with penmanship for good, but I think I'm going to get her the next level "maintenance" book.  Until then her penmanship time is spent doing the copywork in her Latin copywork book.  I have to throw in some calligraphy instruction, too, because that was the deal I made last year--finish the Grade 4 cursive book and I'll teach you calligraphy.  I picked up calligraphy in the fourth grade (for my Girl Guide "Calligraphy" badge...good times), and my penmanship drastically improved.  I'm hoping for the same results with Bluebird.

Flip side of the "I'll teach you calligraphy deal" is that she now has to do all her writing in cursive.  Buh-bye manuscript print.  The transition is going better than I thought it would; probably because she had fourteen months' worth of warning.  Kids like to know what's going to happen.  I like not fighting over change.  A little warning is win-win.

I think Bluebird's had a good week.  I introduced her to the concept of drinking a warm beverage while doing her reading:


She's an apple cider junkie.  She loves to read.  A harmonious melding.

And, for what it's worth, I am not a fan of having them read digital versions of their books.  It's cool to have the digital available when we're out and about, but it so rarely happens that I use them in those situations.  Paper copies are just more accessible (and you can just bring them with you when you leave the house as well), and lend to re-reading so much more readily.  She's still working through "Little Women," and I love that it was free on the Kindle, but there's just something missing from her reading through of it.  I also think it might be giving her headaches to read it on a screen.

Penguin's working on The Blue Fairy Book now, just having to read through two stories a day.  She likes the tales.


Junebug has been practicing her non-violent resistance to all educational instruction.  It wouldn't be so hard to diffuse if it didn't make her older sisters laugh so much.  That's January for you.

Picking up on the beginnings of winter-induced apathy, I took them to the pool on Wednesday, after finishing their math lessons.  There were some really confused-looking mommies of toddlers there while my 9, 7, & quite tall 5 year old splashed through the place.  Hee hee.

Thursday's school went rather well.

We all need a little fun when the work gets tedious.

I've decided that February is going to be fun-filled and fabulous, instead of gray and never-ending.
Anyone else want to join me for a
Fabulous February Full of Fun?
(I love alliteration!)

Post a comment indicating your interest, then check back--I'll post more thoughts over the weekend.

Linking up with:


5 comments:

  1. I'm in! February is the hardest month of the school year for us every time. I've already been making a few plans. One fun thing I plan on is doing this toilet paper tub marble run: http://tinkerlab.com/toilet-paper-roll-marble-run/ We've been gathering tubes for a month without me telling the kids why. We'll use marbles, small cars, and a number of other rollable items. We're also having a valentine's day party with another homeschool family and doing some fun activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to Fabulous Fun February or whatever you called it! Love the pics here, especially the non-violent resistance.

    Calligraphy is a great idea! My cursive-resistant 6th grader might enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. February is a hard month for us too. Two more weeks of school and I'm planning a week off just to give us a break. A change in routine is a great idea - the cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy the thought process of non-violent resistance to all educational instruction. Probably because it's not in my house. I love reading about how inventive and creative our homeschool kids are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great week! I'm sure people were giving you the evil eye at the pool, oh the joys of homeschool. Love, love, love the non violent resistance.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing!