Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weekly Report 2011-2012: Week 22
The Ottoman Empire & Autumn Constellations


The third week of Winter Quarter is complete!  We did school EVERY SINGLE SCHEDULED DAY.  It's been a long time since we've done that, so it's a triumph in my mind.  (I really do think that the only reason we were able to accomplish this is because my children decided to store up all of their mischief and launch it in my direction on Friday, instead of spreading it out over the course of the week.)

So yes, we did school as planned.  And that's about all there is to report.  We continued working on math lessons and we continued working on reading and writing. (I am amazed at what Bluebird is learning in Grammar--I've never had any formal instruction in grammar, so I'm learning all sorts of stuff right now.  Yeah, stuff that a second grader should supposedly know.  Ugh.)  Sometimes homeschooling is like that--you work your butt off every day and get everything done, but nothing is really spectacular or exciting.  Sometimes it's just lots of work and no activities.  I try to avoid this because I think a steady diet of "just schoolwork" burns the kids out.

In history we studied the Ottoman Empire.  It was a longer chapter, so we didn't do any projects because our project day was spent in getting through the last section of reading.

In science we studied the Autumn Constellations.  We have to study the constellations one season behind us because we do our star-gazing much earlier in the evening than the average astronomer, who apparently likes to go out around midnight.  (We do our observing around 8pm.)  We read the myths containing Perseus, Pegasus, Andromeda, Queen Cassiopeia and King Cepheus.  (Actually, I tried to read the myths, but Bluebird interrupted me and told me the myths from memory.)  There aren't really any pictures to show from that; it's too dark to take pictures when we go observe and I highly doubt you want to see a picture of us standing by the door each week before we go out.

Sadly, we did not get to any of our extra-curriculars.  It was a battle to get all the required subjects done each day and the extra-curriculars were repeatedly shelved.

We have next week's school to do before enjoying a week-long school break in which I will be blessed with the task of cleaning our house in expectation of company!  We're very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing!