Four day school week. We volunteered to drive a homesick college freshman to the airport today and I decided to make a day of it because we hardly get to hang out in good ol' Salt Lake City.
It was a weird week. It felt like everyone and everything were trying to squash all my homeschooling self-discipline right out of me. I don't like saying no to people, but I put my foot down this week and asserted that
I have a job that I cannot leave during the day.
If you need me for something, it has to be in the evening. I'm not shortchanging my kids' educations anymore because I think people might get upset with me for saying no.
I'm not flexible.
I never have been.
Phonics: Bluebird's still chugging along. I don't think I got any phonics work in with Penguin this week. Whoops.
Penmanship: Bluebird is one mercurial little creature. Perhaps it was having to do her work at the park last week or perhaps she's just realizing that she just has to do it, but there was significantly less balking about writing this week. Oh, thank you.
|We picked the pumpkins in our garden during recess this week.|
Literature: Uh, I didn't make it to the library last week because I was sick, so we just read whatever I could happen upon for literature. Whatever, like I was going to find something about Hammurabi?
|Junebug likes to shove her sisters down the slide.|
|Bluebird drew a pumpkin she saw in our garden.|
|Junebug loves her sketch pad!|
She also takes after her namesake and draws with her left hand.
|Penguin's drawing of a snow-capped mountain with a penguin on top.|
|The best part is licking the bowl!|
Bluebird also gave the thought in Family Home Evening this week. She read Matthew 25:40 aloud and then discussed what the verse meant. She did a good job. Proud Mommy moment. :)
Highlights of the Week:
- Bluebird almost being to recite the entire "Work" poem after only one reading of it.
- Our new schedule working out quite nicely...and it requires ME to embark on some free reading, something I've been missing for a long, long time.
- Having to put Bluebird in timeout four times on Monday because she was just being a stubborn stinker.
- I made the mistake of trying to take a picture of Monkeyboy during schooltime (Hello, Distraction!). I needed to get down on his level, which prompted a massive "Hop on Mom" session. I'll have to post the pictures later.
- As part of our new schedule, I've implented a mandatory "reading time" during the afternoon. Bluebird sits on one couch, I sit on the other and Penguin gets out our gymnastic mat and we read for thirty minutes. Penguin was unusually wiggly during Wednesday's reading time and I watched as she made a pile of her blankets, crawled in underneath them and then promptly fell asleep. (Actually, that's more endearing than funny, but I have to limit myself on the categories.)